Gladys Moyer Dean papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains memorabilia from Gladys Moyer Dean, a graduate of the William Smith College Class of 1912—the first class to graduate from William Smith College. The materials document her time at William Smith College and include correspondence with her parents, play notices, invitations, programs, dance cards, and term reports. Also included are a number of contemporary publications and articles about the College as well as numerous copies of the Pine (William Smith yearbook) and The Ridge (William Smith literary magazine). William Smith College catalogs from 1908 to 1913 are also included.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on accessing material in this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Gladys Moyer Dean was a member of the first class of William Smith College (class of 1912). She was born on July 12, 1891 in Buffalo, New York, and died on September 12, 1982. Dean attended Lafayette High School in Buffalo. She lived in Miller House on campus, and was a Liberal Arts major and the editor-in-chief of the yearbook (the Pine). She was also on the Board of Control for the College and played a part in the College's production of "Princess Chrysanthemum."
Dean married Ernest W. Dean on October 20, 1915. Gladys and Ernest had four children; their two daughters, Margaret and Constance, both attended William Smith College as members of the Classes of 1943 and 1945 respectively.
1.6 Linear Feet ([3 boxes])
Language of Materials
This collection contains documents and memorabilia from the estate of Gladys Moyer Dean. Dean was a member of the first William Smith Class—the Class of 1912—as Gladys Campbell Moyer.
The collection is arranged in the following series:
- Publications and Books
Boxes 1-3: Archives Storage / Range 22B / Section 4
Gladys Moyer Dean's daughter Constance Dean Adair donated the items to the Archives and Special Collections on June 25, 1998. Constance Dean Adair donated Gladys's artwork of the William Smith seal in 2006.
Four yearbooks (1910 Echo, 1911 Echo, 1912 Pine, 1958 Pine) were removed from the collection and added to the collection of supplemental yearbooks.
- Balls (Parties) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College student newspapers and periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Commencement ceremonies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dance cards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Moyer, Gladys C. (Gladys Campbell)
- Newsletters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith Opera House (Geneva, N.Y.)
- Souvenirs (Keepsakes) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William Smith College
- William Smith College. Charter class
- Gladys Moyer Dean papers: A Finding Aid
- Tricia McEldowney, Archivist
- August 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description