Skip to main content

Sigma Phi records, 1894-1934

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: SC-35

Scope and Contents

The collection of Sigma Phi records contains two series: I. Photographs and II. Financial papers. There are 61 photographs in the collection, including portraits of men, women, religious men, and some miscellaneous photos. Some of the photographs are identified and have clear connections to the fraternity, others are more ambiguous.



The series of financial papers includes day-to-day bills, receipts, correspondence, records of payment, and pledges dating from 1926 to 1934. They originally belonged to Perry Shepard, and serve to document the financial exchanges of the Delta Chapter of Sigma Phi during this time period. The papers are arranged chronologically in 6 folders.



Also included is a letter from Theodore S. Smith, Jr. '56 to Stephen O'Malley of the Geneva Historical Society, included with the papers when they were given to the Society. The letter explains the origins of the papers and some of their history.

Dates

  • 1894-1934

Historical note

The following history of the founding of Sigma Phi at Hobart College is taken from an independent study paper written by John Enright '95 in March of 1995:



"The Sigma Phi Society has a special place on the Hobart campus, existing continuously since August 4, 1840. Its birth was due greatly to the work of Francis Beveridge, who had a friend at Hamilton College who was a member of the society. Beveridge organized a group of six friends, including himself, and formed an application for membership into the fraternity. The application was forwarded to the mother Chapter at Union College and a charter was granted, establishing a chapter at Hobart College. The first initiates of the Delta at Hobart were Beveridge, Charles C. Brown, Charles G. Brundige, Albert G. Hemingway, John P. McGregor, and William H. Watson."



- John Enright, "Hobart Fraternities: A History and a Future" (March 1995) p. 7-8

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)

Abstract

A collection of photographs and papers relating to the Delta Chapter of Sigma Phi fraternity at Hobart College. The papers give a record of financial matters, and date from 1926 to 1934. Given to the Geneva Historical Society in 1993 by Theodore S. Smith, Jr., Hobart College class of 1956, the papers originally belonged to Perry Shepard, who passed them on to Smith's father T. Schuyler Smith class of 1912. The photographs were not part of this collection, but were combined with the papers at some point. The identified photographs are of Sigma Phi brothers, and date from 1894-1898, however the connections of the unidentified photographs to the fraternity are unknown.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in the following series:

  1. Photographs
  2. Financial Papers
  3. Letter accompanying gift to the Geneva Historical Society

Location

Box 1: Archives Storage, Range 22A, Section 5

Provenance

Given to the Geneva Historical Society in 1993 by Theodore S. Smith, Jr., Hobart College class of 1956, the papers originally belonged to Perry Shepard, who passed them on to Smith's father T. Schuyler Smith, class of 1912. The photographs were not part of this collection, but were combined with the papers at some point. The entire collection was given to the Warren Hunting Smith Library by the Geneva Historical Society in 2010.
Title
Sigma Phi records, 1894-1934: A Finding Aid
Status
Completed
Author
Alessandra Mele WS '13 with the Archivist Katie Lamontagne
Date
May 2013
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the Hobart and William Smith Colleges Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Warren Hunting Smith Library
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Geneva New York 14456 U.S.A. US (United States)