Robert E. Doran papers, 1917-1968
Scope and Contents
Series I: This file includes applications and information on U.S. Liberty Loans from 1918, as well as a copy of a 1917 address by W. G. McAdoo, Secretary of the Treasury, titled "The Liberty Loan." There is also a booklet titled "Light on the War: Why we are fighting and why Liberty Bonds are necessary for Victory" and a small poster or sign for the Third Liberty Loan Campaign.
Series II: These materials relate to Hobart and William Smith Colleges and Doran's role on the Board of Trustees. The materials primarily deal with the Capital Funds Campaign begun in 1959 and include campaign planning records, information on the "New Chemistry Building" (Lansing Hall), a blueprint for Sherrill Hall, and fundraising records. Doran served as Chairman of the campaign's Public Relations Committee. There is also a file on the selection and inauguration of President Louis M. Hirshson and a file on the dismissal of President Albert E. Holland. Other topics include the tenure case of Professor Stanley Millet, Walter Hetherington Durfee's retirement, and the Theta Delta Chi fraternity, of which Doran was a member while at Hobart College.
Series III: This series contains U.S. Navy assignments completed by Doran, including Navy Regulations and Customs Assignments and others on medicine and hygiene, dating from 1942 and 1943. Assignments cover topics such as the history of the Navy, duties of a medical officer aboard ship, Navy regulations, and the mission of the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery. The series also contains a file of documents related to Doran's time in the U.S. Naval Reserve. These include memos, correspondence, and reports. Doran served as the Commanding Officer of the Volunteer Composite Unit 3-23, U.S. Naval Reserve. These files date from 1948-1953.
- Doran, Robert Edwin (Person)
Dr. Robert E. Doran graduated with a B.S. degree from Hobart College in 1922 and then went on to receive a medical degree in 1926 from Syracuse Medical College. He served in the U.S. Army during World War I, and during World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a surgeon. He eventually rose to the rank of Commander. He served as the Commanding Officer of the Volunteer Composite Unit 3-23, U.S. Naval Reserve, after World War II.
Doran spent most of his life living and working in Geneva. He was extremely committed to serving the community. He was a member of the Hobart and William Smith Colleges Board of Trustees and served as the Chairman from 1968 until 1972. In 1972 Doran received an honorary doctorate of science from Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Doran was chairman of the Trustees during the upheaval of the 'Tommy the Traveler' events which occurred in 1970.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box, 12 folders)
Language of Materials
Dr. Robert E. Doran was a trustee and graduate of Hobart College in the class of 1922. This collection contains a variety of documents ranging from his time spent in the Navy to his long position on the Board of Trustees of Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Navy records include Navy Regulations and Customs Assignments and others on medicine and hygiene completed by Doran in 1942 and 1943. There are also Navy Reserve records and a file on World War I Liberty Loans. The documents dealing with HWS cover topics including capital campaign fundraising, the new chemistry building (Lansing Hall), the selection and inauguration of President Louis M. Hirshson, and the dismissal of President Albert E. Holland. These documents date from 1932-1968. The collection is comprised of 12 folders.
The collection is arranged in the following series:
- Materials on World War I Liberty Bonds, 1917-1918
- Records relating to Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 1932-1968
- Records relating to the United States Navy, 1942-1953
Box 1: Archives Storage, Range 22B, Section 5
The collection was donated to the Archives and Special Collections in 2007, however the donor is unknown.
- College buildings -- Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Durfee, Walter H. (Walter Hetherington)
- Educational fund raising Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fund raising -- New York (State) -- Geneva. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fund raising -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hirshson, Louis Melbourne, 1900-1986
- Holland, Albert E. (Albert Edward)
- Liberty bonds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Millet, Stanley
- Theta Delta Chi. Xi Charge (Hobart College)
- United States. Department of the Navy. Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
- United States. Naval Reserve
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert E. Doran papers, 1917-1968: A Finding Aid
- Rebekah Kallgren WS'14 and Katie Lamontagne, Archivist
- May 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hobart and William Smith Colleges Archives and Special Collections Repository
Warren Hunting Smith Library
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Geneva New York 14456 U.S.A. US (United States)