John Ruskin support materials, 1981-2008
Scope and Contents
These materials are related to research on John Ruskin, in support of the Ruskin volumes in our Special Closed Collection (S.C.C.). They cover such topics as his writings, travels, and exhibitions pertaining to his work.
Also included are the Derrick Leon Papers. These consist of several folders of correspondence, primarily between Derrick Leon and Greville McDonald regarding letters of Ruskin's. Derrick Leon wrote "Ruskin: The Great Victorian", published posthumously in 1949.
John Ruskin (1819-1900) was an influential social thinker from the Victorian and Edwardian eras. He was known for his essays on art and architecture, and as an art critic, poet and artist.
Derrick Leon (1908-1944) was a British author who wrote a biography of John Ruskin titled "Ruskin: The Great Victorian". Leon died in 1944 from tuberculosis, and his biography of Ruskin was published in 1949.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into the following series:
- Guild of St. George
- The Derrick Leon Papers
Box 1: Archives Storage, Range 21A, Section 1
Most of these support materials were identified or donated by James L. Spates, Professor of Sociology, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, who specializes in the sociology of John Ruskin.
The Derrick Leon Papers were purchased by the Warren Hunting Smith Library in June 2002 from Clare Leon. After a period of correspondence with Professor James L. Spates, Clare Leon agreed to sell the Library a collection of letters exchanged between Derrick Leon and Greville McDonald. The collection includes other correspondence and Ruskinalia.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Goodspeed, Charles (Correspondent)
- Guild of St. George (Publisher)
- Joseph, Gladys (Correspondent)
- Lushinton, Susan (Correspondent)
- McDonald, Greville (Correspondent)
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ruskin, John, 1819-1900
- Ruskin, John, 1819-1900 -- Exhibitions
- Whitehouse, J. Howard (John Howard), 1873-1955 (Correspondent)
- Wortley, Clare Stuart (Correspondent)
- John Ruskin support materials, 1981-2008: A Finding Aid
- L. C. Benedict
- February 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note