Frank Noyes Merrill, Jr. papers, ca. 1926-1980
Scope and Contents
This collection contains the memorabilia of Frank Noyes Merrill, Jr., Hobart College class of 1930. Included are newspaper clippings, a program, and an invitation from Commencement, a program from the Delta Psi Omega initiation, a 1930 Echo of the Seneca yearbook, postcards from Merrill's 25th Reunion in 1955, a photograph of the Class of 1930 at their 50th Reunion in 1980, and 36 small photographs of campus and students taken by Merrill ca. 1926-1930. These photographs feature Merrill and his friends, some identified, posing in various places on campus. There are also photographs of lacrosse games on the quad and photographs of Merrill with his parents at Commencement in 1930.
- Merrill, Frank Noyes, Jr. (Person)
Frank Noyes Merrill, Jr. was born in 1909 in Brooklyn, NY. He attended Manual Training High School in Brooklyn before coming to Hobart College. While at Hobart he played on the freshman football team, played interfraternity basketball, was part of the Medbery Mummers theatre group, and was a member of the Science Club. Merrill was also a member of Delta Psi Omega fraternity. He graduated from Hobart College with a B.S. degree in 1930.
From February, 1945 to July, 1946 he worked for the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos, New Mexico. He then attended Brooklyn Law School and graduated in 1948. Merrill worked in the insurance industry and as an attorney. He passed away in June, 1989.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 slim document case box)
Language of Materials
Box 1: Archives Storage, Range 22A, Section 6
These materials were donated by Frank Noyes Merrill, Jr.'s daughter Dr. Ruth Eldridge in August of 2015. Additional materials were donated by Dr. Eldridge in March of 2017.
- Class reunions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color photographs Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Commencement ceremonies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hobart College -- Students
- Frank Noyes Merrill, Jr. papers, ca. 1926-1980: A Finding Aid
- Katie Lamontagne, Archivist
- September 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script