Warren Hunting Smith papers, 1737-1995
Collection — Box: 1-70
This collection contains the papers of Warren Hunting Smith, Hobart & William Smith trustee, editor of the Horace Walpole letters, and grand-nephew of William Smith, founder. The materials include voluminous personal and professional correspondence, manuscripts, programs, and assorted materials related to genealogical research. There is a large amount of collected articles and pamphlets on various topics, most notably Geneva history.
- Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 (Correspondent, Person)
42.125 Linear Feet ([70 boxes])
Warren Hunting Smith was born on October 25, 1905 in Geneva, New York. He was the grandnephew of William Smith, founder. Warren attended Geneva High School and graduated from Yale in 1927. He received his PhD from Yale in 1931 and began editing the letters of Horace Walpole at that universityΓÇÖs Sterling Library. Warren worked on The Yale Edition of Horace Walpole's Letters until 1981, when they were published in 48 volumes. In his free time, he wrote several books including Hobart and William Smith: The History of Two Colleges, An Elegant but Salubrious Village, and The Misses Elliot of Geneva. He was a longtime supporter of Geneva, particularly the Geneva Free Library and the Geneva Historical Society. He was a member of the Hobart and William Smith Board of Trustees, and in 1958 was awarded an honorary degree. Warren was the main benefactor of the Colleges library, built in 1976, which bears his name. He passed away on November 22, 1998.
The collection is arranged in a single series in order to maintain the Geneva Historical Society's original arrangement. The materials have been rehoused.
The collection is on long-term loan from the Geneva Historical Society. The materials were left to the GHS by Warren in his will.
- Academic libraries
- Academic libraries -- Designs and plans
- Berdan, Pamela
- Biographical sources
- Building dedications
- Building sites
- Campus planning
- Christmas cards
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- College buildings -- Design and construction
- Degrees, Academic
- Family records
- Finger Lakes (N.Y.) -- History
- Geneva (N.Y.) -- History
- Glasheen, Adaline
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Board of Trustees -- Records and correspondence
- Libraries -- Gifts, legacies
- Manuscript preparation (Authorship)
- Smith, William
- Theater programs
- Universities and colleges
- Warren Hunting Smith Library
- Wilder, Thornton, 1897-1975
- Warren Hunting Smith papers, 1737-1995: A Finding Aid
- Description rules