Elizabeth Blackwell Award records
Identifier: Archives RG-02-05
Scope and Contents
Elizabeth Blackwell Award records include: Correspondence, photographs, programs, nominations, news releases, slides, CDs, resumes, seals, biographical information, award certificates and plaques.
In honor of Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910), first woman in America to receive the Doctor of Medicine degree (in 1849 from Geneva Medical College, Geneva, New York), the Elizabeth Blackwell Award is given by Hobart and William Smith Colleges to a woman whose life exemplifies outstanding service to humanity. The Award is not conferred at regular intervals but may be presented whenever a candidate of sufficient stature and appropriate qualifications is identified. The Elizabeth Blackwell Award was first given in 1958 (at the 50th anniversary convocation of William Smith College), to Gwendolyn Grant Mellon, medical missionary, founder of Hospital Albert Schweitzer in Haiti.
1.2 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)
Files pertaining to the creation of the Elizabeth Blackwell Award in 1958, and its recipients.
Records are arranged as administrative records followed by a folder for each recipient.
This collection was given to the Archives in January of 1995 by the College Relations Office. The Blackwell Award materials from Al Learned's file were combined with the College Relations Office's files. Files are added to this collection periodically to document more recent Elizabeth Blackwell Award recipients.
- Albright, Madeleine Korbel
- Anderson, Marian, 1897-1993
- Awards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baumgartner, Leona, 1902-1991
- Biographical sources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Black, Barbara A. (Barbara Aronstein), 1933-
- Brico, Antonia
- Calderone, Mary Steichen
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- De Mille, Agnes
- Elizabeth Blackwell Award Subject Source: Local sources
- Ford, Loretta C.
- Gray, Hanna Holborn
- Harding, Francis Keller
- Harris, Barbara C. (Barbara Clementine)
- Jordan, Barbara, 1936-1996
- Kaplun-Le Meitour, Annette
- King, Billie Jean
- Lasker, Mary
- Leakey, Mary D. (Mary Douglas)
- Macfarlane, Catharine
- Mankiller, Wilma Pearl, 1945-2010
- Mann, Marty
- Mead, Margaret
- Mellon, Gwen Grant
- Moore, Elizabeth Luce
- Motley, Constance Baker
- Mundo, Fe del
- Novello, Antonia C.
- O'Connor, Sandra Day, 1930-
- Perkins, Frances, 1880-1965
- Pool, Judith G. (Judith Graham)
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rees, Mina
- Resumes (Employment) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Saunders, Cicely M., Dame
- Sawada, Miki
- Sibley, Georgiana Harper
- Smith, Margaret Chase, 1897-1995
- Taussig, Helen B. (Helen Brooke)
- Elizabeth Blackwell Award records: A Finding Aid
- Linda Clark Benedict
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description