Capital campaign records, 1981-2012
Scope and Contents
This record group, RG 04.05, contains the records of various Hobart and William Smith Colleges capital campaigns dating from 1981-2012.
RG 04.05.01 contains materials from the 1984 Campaign for the Colleges. Items include campaign publications, news releases, campaign updates, donation forms, and planning documents.
RG 04.05.02 contains materials from the 1994 campaign titled Generating Ideals & Transforming Lives: The Campaign for Hobart and William Smith Colleges. These records include a subseries of items from the Kick-Off Celebration held on campus from September 29-October 2, 1994, including event invitations, speeches, transcripts, schedules, programs, and flyers. Other subseries contain campaign publications, planning records including memos, drafts of plans, reports, statistics, and charts, and fundraising and financial documents. The fundraising documents include donation forms, brochures, and materials given to campaign fundraising volunteers. Financial records include reports, updates, memos, and statistics. This series also includes photograph proof sheets of Kick-Off Celebration events, and posters and postcards from the Five Artists Over Five Decades Alumni Alumnae Exhibition, Houghton House Gallery, September 9-October 12, 1994.
RG 04.05.03 contains records from the 2006 Campaign for the Colleges, including mainly documents from the various launch events held in 2006 and 2007. This includes invitations, programs, speeches, event transcripts, and HWS website printouts from the National Launch, the Campus Launch, and the Boston Launch of the campaign. Invitations from the Florida, California, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore launch celebrations are included. This series also contains campaign planning records, campaign publications, annual reports, and invitations to various campaign receptions, including invitations and programs for the March 2012 Campaign for the Colleges Celebration in New York City.
The three most recent capital campaigns have been some of the largest fundraising campaigns in the history of Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Capital campaigns raise funds for the endowment, for building projects and renovations, and for scholarships and awards.
The 1984 Campaign for the Colleges, announced on April 30, 1984, was initially designed as a three-year effort to raise $13 million for construction of the Scandling Center, for the endowment, and for renovation of theatre and science facilities. This goal was completed in only two years. After the $13 million goal was reached, the Board of Trustees, in May of 1986, decided to extend the campaign from $13 million to $20 million. The new objectives for the extension of the campaign were to continue increasing the endowment, to continue to improve existing campus facilities, and to build a field house to provide much-needed indoor recreation space. The Robert A. Bristol Field House was built as part of this campaign.
In 1994 the colleges embarked on a $75 million campaign titled Generating Ideals & Transforming Lives: The Campaign for Hobart and William Smith Colleges. This campaign raised funds for three critical areas: the endowment, current programs, and facilities. Endowment funds that were supported by this campaign include the Performing and Visual Arts Endowment Fund, the International Study Endowment Fund, the President's Scholars Endowment Fund, and the Honors Program Endowment fund, among others.
Rosenberg Hall, housing the Departments of Chemistry and Biology, and its adjacent Napier Classroom Center were both built with funds from this campaign and were dedicated at the campus Kick-Off Celebration in September-October, 1994. The campaign also funded renovations to Winn-Seeley and Bristol Gymnasiums, and a large addition and renovation to the Warren Hunting Smith Library. During this renovation the L. Thomas Melly Academic Center was added to the library. The Generating Ideals & Transforming Lives campaign ended successfully in December 1998.
In 2006 the colleges launched another campaign, also called the Campaign for the Colleges. The three primary objectives of the 2006 Campaign for the Colleges are capital building projects, the endowment, and the Annual Fund. The following information is taken from the colleges' website:
"Campaign for the Colleges supports the Colleges' strategic plan HWS 2010. The Campaign seeks to raise funds for on-campus improvements including a Performing Arts Center, the renovation of the Scandling Center and athletics facilities, preserving the legacy of the campus, and providing cutting-edge Information Technology services. Another portion is dedicated to the Colleges' endowment funds to ensure scholarships and internships for students and endowed professorships for faculty members, and to secure the future of programs like global education. The Campaign also recognizes the first 100 years of William Smith College, 1908-2008, with a Centennial celebration November 7-9, 2008." For more information visit the campaign website: http://www.hws.edu/alumni/campaign/
3 Cubic Feet ([3 boxes])
RG 04.05 is arranged in the following series:
- RG 04.05.01
- Campaign for the Colleges (1984)
- RG 04.05.02
- Generating Ideals & Transforming Lives: The Campaign for Hobart and William Smith Colleges
- RG 04.05.03
- Campaign for the Colleges (2006)
- RG 04.05.04
- Campaigns prior to 1984
Many of the materials from the 1994 Generating Ideals & Transforming Lives campaign were donated by staff from the office of Institutional Advancement in the spring of 2012.
Most of the materials from the 2006 Campaign for the Colleges (excluding the campaign celebration invitations and programs from 2012) were transferred from G Mss file 2007.007. The materials in G Mss file 2007.007 were received from Jared C. Weeden, Director of Alumni Relations, on December 11, 2006.
The rest of the materials were transferred to RG 04.05. from G Mss file 378.94 cc oversize box #11. These materials were mostly from the 1994 Generating Ideals & Transforming Lives campaign.
- Academic libraries -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Art -- Exhibitions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Aub, A. E. Ted
- Best, Sharon Peckham
- Blackwell, Elizabeth, 1821-1910
- Buchholz, Daisy Weeks
- Campus planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College buildings -- Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College buildings -- Remodeling Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Comstock, Anna Botsford
- Dedication services Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fund raising -- New York (State) -- Geneva. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fund raising -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Heath, Helen Bateman
- Hersh, Richard H., 1942-
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Finance
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Endowments
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Campaign for the Colleges (1994)
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Campaign for the Colleges (2006)
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Napier Classroom Center
- Melly, L. Thomas
- Portrait sculpture Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rosenberg Hall
- Smith, H. L. (Hamilton Lanphere), 1819-1903
- Speeches, addresses, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Turk, Milton Haight, 1866-1949
- Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- Geneva -- Finance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wickenden, Dorothy
- Capital campaign records, 1981-2012: A Finding Aid
- Katie Lamontagne
- July 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard